disklabel differences FreeBSD, DragonFly

David Gilbert dgilbert at dclg.ca
Sun Jul 30 14:02:13 UTC 2006

Dmitry> * Matthew Dillon (dillon at apollo.backplane.com) wrote:
>> felt that 8 partitions is restrictive.  My main home server has 10
>> and the main DragonFly box has 11.
>>
>> There is another solution for FreeBSD folks, however.  You *DO*
>> have four slices to play with.  You can put a disklabel with 8
>> partitions in it on each one (for 32 total).  It isn't as
>> convenient, but it does work.

Dmitry> About `lack' of partitions - don't forget that labels can be
Dmitry> nested.  Just do `bsdlabel -w /dev/ad0s1e` - you'll get
Dmitry> /dev/ad0s1ea.

Don't also forget that gpt(8) exists and seems to provide for large
numbers of partitions.  It even seems to be compiled into GENERIC by
default.

Dave.