disklabel differences FreeBSD, DragonFly

Dmitry Marakasov amdmi3 at mail.ru
Sun Jul 30 12:58:51 UTC 2006

* Matthew Dillon (dillon at apollo.backplane.com) wrote:
> Oh, very cute!  A terrible hack if you ask me, but cute all the same!
I don't consider it a hack. Pretty expected and consistent behaviour
- any block device (be it a whole disk or just a partition) is
scanned by geom for magic numbers, and if any found, corresponding
subdevices do appear. This gives amazing flexibility - you can
choose whether to use any partitioning scheme (you can drop slices
at all), you are not limited to 4 slices * 7 partitions. Also, you
may dd a whole disk image into partition of enough size, and still
be able to mount subpartitions of that image (or boot qemu from it)
without md(4) overhead (of course MBR slices can be nested as well
- you'll get ad0s1s1 or ad1s1as1). Very cute indeed :)

--
Best regards,
 Dmitry                          mailto:amdmi3 at mail.ru