disklabel differences FreeBSD, DragonFly

Rick C. Petty rick-freebsd at kiwi-computer.com
Fri Jul 28 01:13:45 UTC 2006

Mike Meyer wrote:

>Boxes are cheaper than disk space - my last two low-end boxes cost
>less than my last small disk drive, even though I ordered them all
>about the same time. If you can afford the disk for some process, then
>chances are good you can afford a system instead, or as well.

I'm not sure how that's even possible.  A quick glance at newegg.com:

$17.99 (+$6.13)	[recertified] socket A motherboard
$39.99		[oem] AMD Duron socket A processor
$13.99 (+$4.99)	128MB RAM
$71.97 (+$11.12 shipping) = $83.09.

This is assuming you have an extra case, power supply, and video card to
throw in it.  What do you consider a "small disk drive"?  Newegg has a 40G
for $39.99 + $5.64 shipping.  Yeah, so small disk drives seem to be half
the price of the cheapest possible "box".  Feel free to enlighten me, I'd
love to know where you shop that has a system under US$50 !!!!!

-- Rick C. Petty