[Fwd: Interrupts question]

Alex Zbyslaw xfb52 at dial.pipex.com
Wed Jul 19 12:09:01 UTC 2006

Oliver Fromme wrote:

>Alex Zbyslaw wrote:
> > John Baldwin wrote:
> > > There's no easy answer on this.  You'll have to run your own benchmarks.  If
> > > you don't need USB, then you may just want to leave it out of your kernel
> > > which might help some.
> >
> > OK, thanks for the info and suggestions.  Regrettably, leaving out USB
> > isn't an option for us.
>
>>From your dmesg excerpt it seems that you have at least
>three USB controllers in that machine.  Depending on your
>requirements, it might make sense to disable all of them
>_except_ one, and then connect your USB devices to that
>one controller (using additional USB hubs if necessary).
>Of course, the controller that you keep enabled should be
>the one that's causing the least problems (which seems to
>be uhci1 "USB-B" in your case, if I read your first email

Thanks for the suggestion.  Can you tell me how to disable specific
controllers?  Were you thinking BIOS? or FreeBSD?  Can device.hints do
this?  uhci man page is somewhat brief.

I'm not sure which of those controllers I might actually need and it
might be none of them.  The USB requirement is because there is a DRAC
(remote console) card which simulates a USB keyboard/mouse and offhand
I'm not sure what they are connected to.  But if I know how to turn
specific controllers off, I can just try  and see if what I need still
works :-)  (Probably studying the dmesg will give me some hints).

Thanks,

--Alex