odd behavior in apache 2.0.58 today

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Tue Jul 18 19:03:39 UTC 2006

John Von Essen wrote:
> Doug,
>
> Did some googling and I did find a connection between excessive
> CLOSED_WAITS, and hanging apache, and webbots. Some of the IP's I saw in
> my netstat were bots too. The problem has something to do with the bot
> no longer accepting data, but apache will continue to send it back since
> the bot didn't close the connection.

Yep, that sounds right to me.

> Because my MaxClients was set to 150, my server got so bogged down, that
> it actually crashed and I had to power cycle. I moved that down to 75,
> which is still more than enough for me, so if it happens again, my
> system should remain up in order to restart apache.
>
> Any ideas if I can tweak apache to prevent this from happening? Maybe
> turn-off keepalive?

Reducing MaxClients to a sane level is the best bet here. Maybe throw in a
monitoring script for system load, and/or apache going insane with too many
children. Keepalives are generally a good idea, and for legit clients do
more good than harm, so I wouldn't turn them off personally.

Doug