odd behavior in apache 2.0.58 today

John Von Essen john at essenz.com
Tue Jul 18 18:39:25 UTC 2006

Doug,

Did some googling and I did find a connection between excessive
CLOSED_WAITS, and hanging apache, and webbots. Some of the IP's I saw in
my netstat were bots too. The problem has something to do with the bot no
longer accepting data, but apache will continue to send it back since the
bot didn't close the connection.

Because my MaxClients was set to 150, my server got so bogged down, that
it actually crashed and I had to power cycle. I moved that down to 75,
which is still more than enough for me, so if it happens again, my system
should remain up in order to restart apache.

Any ideas if I can tweak apache to prevent this from happening? Maybe
turn-off keepalive?

I have to allow bots, maybe some are worse then others.

-John