Using any network interface whatsoever

Mike Meyer mwm-keyword-freebsdhackers.102a7e at mired.org
Sun Apr 9 02:34:13 UTC 2006

In <4438630E.4090300 at deadcafe.de>, Daniel Rock <freebsd at deadcafe.de> typed:
> So I doubt that the overwriting of an Ingres database really
> happened in Solaris, like some other poster described - unless the
> administrator fiddled with /etc/path_to_inst by hand (you are free
> to shoot in your own foot).

That happened very early in the life of Solaris, in the early 90s.
Persistent numbering was added to Solaris in response to this incident
(there were probably others as well).

This was on a relatively large server, with something like 4 SCSI
buses. A drive was added to a previously unused bus, making it appear
"between" two drives that were already in the system. This gave all
the drives further on in the probe sequence a device number one higher
than they had previously had.

	<mike