Using any network interface whatsoever

Daniel Rock freebsd at deadcafe.de
Sun Apr 9 01:28:03 UTC 2006

Scott Long schrieb:
> Ceri Davies wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Apr 08, 2006 at 08:34:30AM -0600, Scott Long wrote:
>
>>> Well, the real question is why we force the details of driver names
>>> onto users.  Network and storage drivers are especially guilty of
>>> this, but tty devices also are annoying.

How do you know which manual page to read for driver specifics if they are all
named eth0, eth1, ...
With the current naming scheme you know when to read the man page for em(4),
fxp(4), nve(4), ...

> I'll say again, how does having em0, em1, em2, and em3 help me know what
> is going on with each of those interfaces?

FreeBSD doesn't support persistent instance numbering, unlike Solaris. If you
unplug device em0 in FreeBSD the remaining interfaces get renamed em0, em1,
em2 - which is a bad thing. If you unplug e1000g0 in Solaris the remaining
interfaces will still be named e1000g1, e1000g2, e1000g3. So I doubt that the
overwriting of an Ingres database really happened in Solaris, like some other
poster described - unless the administrator fiddled with /etc/path_to_inst by
hand (you are free to shoot in your own foot).

Daniel