FreeBSD Kernel Quality?

Sam Leffler sam at errno.com
Thu Apr 6 20:02:41 UTC 2006

Robert Watson wrote:
> On Wed, 5 Apr 2006, Benjamin D Adams wrote:
>
>> I came across the fallowing website: http://scan.coverity.com/
>>
>> Looks like they check open source projects for source quality. They
>> Have the fallowing listed:
>
> The FreeBSD Foundation has negotiated a license to use the Coverity
> Prevent software as part of the FreeBSD.org cluster, so we have our own
> Prevent install.  We do nightly runs on two branches and at least five
> hardware architectures, providing all FreeBSD developers with accounts
> on the Coverity bug database.  This allows tracking long-term bug
> trends, immediate feedback on newly introduced bugs, etc.  I'll actually
> be visiting Coverity on Wednesday to talk about expanding our use of
> their software.  There's news blurb about the Coverity license on the
> FreeBSD Foundation web page, and we'll be cutting a press release in the
> near future (we have a draft, but it seems to have stalled, so hopefully
> my Coverity visit will kick it off again).

Note that our private runs use some freebsd-specific models that
eliminate many false positives in the analysis runs.  This means, for
the kernel at least, that the results may be misleading.  We also have
some issues that inflate the reportage somewhat and we're working with
Coverity to resolve them.

OTOH we've done nothing with user application code and based on the work
I've seen done by netbsd there's plenty of stuff to be fixed there.  So
if you want to help out get an account and start feeding back fixes for
the user code.

	Sam