mount permissions problems

Chuck Robey chuckr at chuckr.org
Sat Oct 8 14:18:42 PDT 2005

I could sure use some help here.

I have this Zaurus pda, running OpenBSD (FreeBSD doesn't run on arm,
last I looked), and I have just gotten usb networking to work.  I am
trying to get nfs mounts to work, and I have very nearly got it working,
except for one problem: permissions.

For example, I have a /usr3/local that I want to mount as /usr/ports on
the Zaurus.  When I do that (and it does mount), if I try to "touch
garbage", it comes back and tells me "Permission denied".  I can't get
around this.  The mount isn't ro, in fact, when I do the mount -v, I get:

april.chuckr.org:/usr3/osrc/ports on /usr/ports type nfs (rw, ctime=Sat
Oct  8 10:23:49 2005, v3, tcp, hard, wsize=8192, rsize=8192,
rdirsize=8192, timeo=100, retrans=10, maxgrouplist=16, readahead=1,
acregmin=5, acregmax=60, acdirmin=5, acdirmax=60)

Showmount -e on FreeBSD shows the right network (I was going to post it,
but I chickened out, it's got too much stuff I don't want publicized, I
have static IPs).

How come I can't get permissions fixed?