problems with disk geometry

Kamal R. Prasad kamalp at acm.org
Thu Oct 6 10:13:11 PDT 2005

> [snip]
>

> I doubt it is your disk geometry.  You will probably need to provide a
> little more information.  I assume you've got another OS on /dev/
> ad0 and
> that you are letting sysinstall put 6.0 onto /dev/ad1 as a
> (dangerously)
> dedicated drive?  What does the BIOS report?  How old are the machine

ad0 is running windows XP and that works fine. ad1 is a new drive (I
delted the windows partition that existed on it) on which i wish to
install freebsd. I inserted the CD for 6.0-i386-disc1.iso and it gave
the msg I mentioned before going to fdisk. fdisk allows me tocreate
slices and then I can select mount pt etc.. on the next screen. When
we try to write that information, the operation fails. I mean, there
is a problem with doing an I/O operation on that hard disk

> and its BIOS?  What does fdisk say when run either standalone or from
> the first OS?

The motherboard is an "American Megatrends Corp" board with a pentium
4 chip on it
they ahve  a propreitary bios on it -but its all post 2003 stuff.

Its the same result for fdisk whether you run standalone or from the
installer.
regards
-kamal

> -gayn