Promise FastTrak RAID 5 support ?

Christian Brueffer chris at unixpages.org
Fri Nov 25 17:42:27 GMT 2005

On Fri, Nov 25, 2005 at 05:34:36PM +0100, Thierry Herbelot wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've been googling for some time and I can't seem to find out whether the ata
> subsystem of FreeBSD supports the RAID5 feature of the Promise boards.
>
> Two boards seem interesting : (by Promise)   FastTrak S150 SX4-M and
> FastTrak SX4100 (I haven't exactly seen the differences, though)
>
> from the ATA mkIII update commit log, it seems that the RAID support for
> Promises is fairly good, but even after a glimpse at the ata-raid src in
> cvsweb, I'm not sure of anything.
>
> Has any one a hint on a cost-effective, FreeBSD-supported  RAID-5 SATA disk
> controller ?

To quote from the commit log of src/sys/deb/ata/ata-raid.c, rev. 1.98.2.4:

===
Disable RAID5 for the release.

The RAID5 code is not complete, it does not use nor maintain the parity,
so it does actually only do RAID0. This is not wanted for a production
release.
===

Take a look at e.g. the amr(4), aac(4) or arcmsr(4) manpages for a list
of hardware that's closer to what you're looking for.

(I'll add something about RAID5 to ataraid(4) the next couple of days)

- Christian

--
Christian Brueffer	chris at unixpages.org	brueffer at FreeBSD.org
GPG Key:	 http://people.freebsd.org/~brueffer/brueffer.key.asc