ATI drivers for FreeBSD - anything? [Slightly OT]

Eric Schuele e.schuele at computer.org
Mon Nov 21 15:42:21 GMT 2005

Maxime Henrion wrote:
> Albert Vest wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 19 Nov 2005 01:58:25 +0200 (EET)
>>Vladimir Kushnir <vkushnir at i.kiev.ua> wrote:
>>

>>>Hi all,
>>>Is there any project on FreeBSD wrapper for ATI Linux drivers (like
>>>nVidia's used to be)? If so - I'd be more than happy to test (sorry I can
>>>hardly write it myself).
>>>
>>>Regards,
>>>Vladimir
>>
>>I too would welcome this, mainly for ATI sound but also for video.
>>
>>I see the x11/nvidia-driver port can still be built with LINUX compatibility turned on; maybe if we "make extract" with LINUX=yes, the source code will contain some hints to how it can be done?
>

> The Linux compatibility in the nvidia-driver has nothing to do with a
> wrapper to run Linux drivers; nVidia releases a build of this driver for
> FreeBSD.  The Linux compatibility option is here to install nVidia's
> Linux OpenGL libraries so that Linux binaries can run with FreeBSD's
> driver.  This is possible because nVidia's OpenGL libraries communicate
> with the driver by using /dev/nvidia and the FreeBSD driver offers the
> same interface.

With the above said...
I have a ATI Radeon m7500 card, and Linux game (nwn) which requires
OpenGL (I think).  the game is unusably slow.  When the game play
begins, my frame rate drops to 2fps.  I suspect some misconfiguration
with my linux-compat openGL setup.

Does the ATI driver have a similar 'Linux Compatibility' knob?

In short, there is no easy way to use the ATI drivers
> for Linux under FreeBSD.
>
> Cheers,
> Maxime

Regards,