ZFS

Michael Reifenberger mike at Reifenberger.com
Thu Sep 16 13:26:50 PDT 2004

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004, David Schultz wrote:
> Anyway, out of all the features of ZFS, support for 128-bit block
> numbers is among the least interesting, both from an engineering
> perspective and from the user's perspective.  I don't know why
> everyone is so eager to discuss them.  Much more interesting, for
> instance, is the pooled storage model for volume management.
> (Basically, you tell the system, ``I have a bunch of disks with
> similar QoS characteristics, and I want N filesystems on top of
> them.''  ZFS then dynamically shares the pool of storage among the
> filesystems.  It's amazing how much trouble this saves.)

Sounds like ADVFS on OSF/ALPHA...
Was nice to work with.

Bye/2
---
Michael Reifenberger, Business Development Manager SAP-Basis, Plaut Consulting
Comp: Michael.Reifenberger at plaut.de | Priv: Michael at Reifenberger.com
       http://www.plaut.de           |       http://www.Reifenberger.com