ZFS

Wilko Bulte wb at freebie.xs4all.nl
Thu Sep 16 12:55:15 PDT 2004

On Thu, Sep 16, 2004 at 03:45:26PM -0400, David Schultz wrote..
> On Thu, Sep 16, 2004, Frank Knobbe wrote:
> > >
> > > You can bet that somebody, somewhere, needs this right now. And someone
> > > will definitely need it in the next 5-10 years.
> >
> > Naahh... there is No Such Application for it.  ;)
>
> Actually, there are a number of parties---banks, governments,
> geneticists, and Internet search engines, for instance---who
> never seem to have enough storage.
>
> I've seen lots of FUD and bad math on this thread, so let's do a
> quick back-of-the-envelope calculation.  Hitachi and other storage
> vendors already ship systems with on the order of 1 petabyte
> (2^50B) of capacity.  That's 14 doublings away from 2^64.  Storage

Actually, I have been in a discussion with a customer intrested in 11PB
of storage.  Typically you are looking at people storing audio & video
archives and the like.  Or the folks that run particle accelerators or
biosciences.

--
Wilko Bulte				wilko at FreeBSD.org