Rrrrrr.....

Bill Paul wpaul at FreeBSD.ORG
Tue May 27 12:08:22 PDT 2003

Ok, I've gotten enough e-mail about this now that it's starting to be
annoying, so I'm going to nip this in the bud right now.

People have started asking me about the Broadcom 4400 series chips.
They have noticed that there's this "if_bge" driver with the word
"Broadcom" associated with it, and seem to think it may somehow be
coerced into working with the 44xx chipset, even though the documentation
implies nothing of the sort. So everybody listen up:

*NO*, the 44xx chips are *NOT* the same as the 57xx chips. The 57xx
devices are 10/100/1000. The 44xx are 10/100 *ONLY*.

*NO* they do *NOT* have the same programming API.

*NO*, the bge(4) driver will *NOT* work with the 44xx chips. Ever. I don't
care how much you whine.

*NO* I don't have any programming manuals for the 44xx chips and don't
know (or care) if I ever will.

*NO* I will *NOT* port the Linux driver to FreeBSD.

Is everyone clear on this now? Good, because any further questions
along these lines will be summarily ignored.

-Bill