A modest proposal for better errno values...

Terry Lambert tlambert2 at mindspring.com
Tue May 13 06:43:37 PDT 2003

Thomas David Rivers wrote:
> Robert Klein <RoKlein at roklein.de> wrote:
> I think Robert is "on to" something here...
>
> But - EGOOFUP isn't descriptive enough for the situation
> Poul-Henning writes about...
>
> How about
>
>         EKERNERR        /* A programming error in the kernel */
>
> Wouldn't that be descriptive of the situation without insulting
> anyone?

It appears in both the libc malloc code, and in the GEOM code
under the bde subtree in the kernel, so it is not kernel
specific for "programming errors"; by a ratio of 3:1, it's a
user space programming error.

Personally, I am partial to "EPROGERR"; it matches the error
text, if it needs to change.  It has the advantage of leaving
it ambiguous whether we meant "programming", "programmer", or
"program", too.

-- Terry