A modest proposal for better errno values...

Jaron Omega jaron at af-inet.net
Tue May 13 04:43:13 PDT 2003

On Tue, May 13, 2003 at 01:57:13AM -0700, Jordan Hubbard wrote:

> So, to make a long story short, this is one small area where Apple's
> going to have to gratuitously diverge from FreeBSD if it remains this
> way and I frankly hate that idea since it just makes diffing things
> that much more annoying and for reasons which could be best and most
> accurately described as "silly."    That said, I'm sure the reactions
> of the various people reading this will still vary between "who gives a
> damn what Apple thinks of our errno values?!  Get a life, Apple!" and
> "yeah, that's a pretty silly errno value and in rather colloquial
> english at that, let's pick a more descriptive name like ``EUSERERR''
> or something which makes any code using it more clear."

Apple became a corporation, May 25th 1998.  Not technically ofcourse, but
in spirit.

> I'm naturally hoping that more people will be of the latter opinion and
> we can just change it and move on, one more gratuitous and unnecessary
> code fork thus averted, but if the group consensus is that we should
> get bent and simply change our own value to one which potentially
> offends our developers less (or remove it entirely) and not bother the
> FreeBSD project with such requests, I'm willing to live with that too.
> I had to at least ask, however, rather than just making the change
> unilaterally on our side...  Thanks, and let the bikeshed building
> begin!

I personally have no problems with this modest request.  So, this is my
vote cast in your favor.  This is largely due to my respect of Apple, and
appreciation of Apple efforts past and present.  It's just a vote though,
not much weight by itself.

Omega