cache_purge > cache_zap segmentation fault

Ali Bahar alih at internetDog.org
Fri May 9 07:42:59 PDT 2003

On Fri, May 09, 2003 at 07:40:25AM +0100, David Malone wrote:
> On Thu, May 08, 2003 at 07:54:10PM -0400, Ali Bahar wrote:
> > Considering its increasing frequency, I even suspected that the
> > filesystem had been corrupted -- in a way undetected by fsck. But, a

> To me it seems very unlikely that a corrupted filesystem would
> result in a corrupted name cache. The name cache is independendent

I understand, and agree.

> Mind you, I couldn't say for certain that some subtle corruption
> might not cause the problem.

_My_ perspective, too -- especially since I'm ignorant about the
filesystem code. :-)

> Is it possible that one of your modules is somehow stomping on
> memory that doesn't belong to it?

(Phrasing the right question is indeed half the solution.)

Excellent. Though this ought have been obvious to me, somehow I never
considered it plausible. Perhaps due to the presumed 'distance'
between the filesystem code, and my networking module! :-)

The possibility of memory overwrite by an in-development module is
about 3 orders of magnitude higher than the possibility of a name
cache bug. I can't yet see how it is happening, but I've seen weirder
coincidences in scribblers.

I'll look into this.

Thanks much for your help.
Much appreciated.