cache_purge > cache_zap segmentation fault

David Malone dwmalone at maths.tcd.ie
Thu May 8 23:40:27 PDT 2003

On Thu, May 08, 2003 at 07:54:10PM -0400, Ali Bahar wrote:
> Considering its increasing frequency, I even suspected that the
> filesystem had been corrupted -- in a way undetected by fsck. But, a
> 'normal' filesystem corruption exhibits _random_ crashes, not ones
> consistently following the above execution thread.

To me it seems very unlikely that a corrupted filesystem would
result in a corrupted name cache. The name cache is independendent
of the filesystem and is only populated as lookups in the filesystem
code complete. If there were a problem it seems more likely that
either fsck, the filesystem code or dirhash would catch the problem.
Mind you, I couldn't say for certain that some subtle corruption
might not cause the problem.

Is it possible that one of your modules is somehow stomping on
memory that doesn't belong to it?

	David.