are /etc/ld.so.conf and ld-elf.so.conf still used by ldconfig(8) ?

Marco Molteni molter at tin.it
Fri Jun 27 07:00:01 PDT 2003

On -current, according to the ldconfig man page:

FILES
     /var/run/ld.so.hints         Standard hints file for the a.out dynamic
                                  linker.
     /var/run/ld-elf.so.hints     Standard hints file for the ELF dynamic
                                  linker.
     /etc/ld.so.conf              Conventional configuration file containing
                                  directory names for invocations with -aout.
     /etc/ld-elf.so.conf          Conventional configuration file containing
                                  directory names for invocations with -elf.
     /etc/objformat               Determines whether -aout or -elf is the
                                  default.  If present, it must consist of a
                                  single line containing either
                                  `OBJFORMAT=aout' or `OBJFORMAT=elf'.

I gave a quick look at the ldconfig source and it seems to me that
/etc/ld.so.conf and /etc/ld-elf.so.conf are not used anymore.

During system startup ldconfig is passed the path set by "ldconfig_paths"
in /etc/defaults/rc.conf.

If I am correct, could somebody fix the man page? It is misleading.

thanks
Marco