replacing sendmail with qmail

Jeremy Messenger mezz7 at cox.net
Thu Jun 26 12:32:25 PDT 2003

On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 09:47:28 +0300, Alin-Adrian Anton
<aanton at reversedhell.net> wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> As sendmail showed to be so vulnerable in the past, and even in the
> recent past, I was wondering to propose removing it from the default
> install on freebsd. Currently, sendmail comes with the system sources,
> and runs as root. I think this is bad, and it could be replaced with
> qmail, for example. Or, something else, if you think something else is
> more secure. Please let me know if this is possible, or why if not, and
> to whom shall I address this idea (I wonder why it didn't happen yet).

It is possible to delete the sendmail and replace to the different MTA on
your own. To not have or change the different MTA by default in FreeBSD
isn't going to happen anytime soon, anyway. I would love to see to get rid
of sendmail too, thought. I don't have Sendmail in my server, which it has
been replaced to qmail and sometime I want to try to replace from BIND to
djb's libdjbdns.

If anyone want to get rid of BIND, Sendmail and etc by default, the only
way that I can see at the moment is.... *cough* fork FreeBSD *cough*.. or
wait until libh project finishes or in future version of FreeBSD like 6.0,
7.0, 8.0 or so (maybe never)..

Cheers,
Mezz

--