replacing sendmail with qmail

Colin Percival colin.percival at wadham.ox.ac.uk
Thu Jun 26 11:54:31 PDT 2003

At 09:47 25/06/2003 +0300, Alin-Adrian Anton wrote:
>As sendmail showed to be so vulnerable in the past, and even in the recent
>past, I was wondering to propose removing it from the default install on
>freebsd. Currently, sendmail comes with the system sources, and runs as
>root. I think this is bad, and it could be replaced with qmail, for
>example. Or, something else, if you think something else is more secure.
>Please let me know if this is possible, or why if not, and to whom shall I
>address this idea (I wonder why it didn't happen yet).

   This topic has arisen many times in the past.  Basically, it comes down
to this: Every MTA has its supporters and detractors; FreeBSD needs to have
an MTA; FreeBSD currently has Sendmail.  It's simply not worth changing at
the moment.
   If you want to use qmail, go ahead and install it from the ports
tree.  At some time in the distant future, when FreeBSD is fully
packagized, it's quite likely that Sendmail will be just one of many
installable options; but that time hasn't come yet.

Colin Percival