Backporting burncd w/VCD support to 4.5-REL-p24

The Anarcat anarcat at anarcat.ath.cx
Mon Jun 9 11:19:49 PDT 2003

On Mon Jun 09, 2003 at 12:52:09PM -0500, D J Hawkey Jr wrote:
> On Jun 09, at 01:45 PM, The Anarcat wrote:

> > I've used the ATAPICAM throughout the 4.x branch and now in 5.x
> > without any problems, really enjoying all of cdrecord power.
>
> Um, just to clarify: FBSD 4.6 was the first release with ATAPICAM
> (I _think_ it was 4.6, but definitely not 4.5). Are you saying that
> FBSD 4.6 was nice and solid?
>
> More to the point, had you applied that CAM xpt patch to a 4.5 (or
> earlier) release? And solid reliability continued?
>
> Thanks for the reply,
> Dave

hmmm.. I guess the proper person to ask would be Thomas himself, but on:

http://www.cuivre.fr.eu.org/~thomas/atapicam/

I see patches going as far as march 2002, so I guess the 4.6 date fits
in pretty well. I *think* I followed the atapicam pretty much from
start, so that would indeed be 4.5-stable.

Can't say that atapicam always had been nice and solid. As it says on
the web page:

The only recommended way of using ATAPI/CAM is:

    * with FreeBSD 4: to upgrade to a version of the RELENG_4 branch
    * posterior to 2002-11-01 and follow the instructions in
    * /sys/conf/LINT.

YMMV, of course,

A.