scrnmap file for syscons

khachikyan.de vahe at khachikyan.de
Mon Jun 2 15:26:14 PDT 2003

Hi,

I just bussy with some localization issue and creating now the screenmap
file for the locale.
What I found in documentation is that these file is needed for some type of
video hardware
which doesn't support software font, and that the file defines mapping
between character codes.

I took a look into screenmap files provided in source tree the us-ascii file
looks just like a matrix
with everything set to zero exept of printable characters 0x20-0x7e .
iso-8859-1 screenmap looks
similar but begining from the the matrix address 0xA0 up to the end there
are some hex numbers which I
couldn't map to something which seems to be meaningful to me.
I am not that strong in hardware things so have no clue how does it works.
Unfortunately I found no more pointers to information.
If the soft fonts are not supported what is mapped to what ? Where the
syscons driver gets the information
about letter-symbols of that special language in case of non software fonts?

Any help is welcome

kind regards
--
Vahe Khachikyan