Ultra ATA card doesn't seem to provide Ultra speeds.

Buckie freebsd1 at centrum.cz
Thu Jul 31 02:50:59 PDT 2003

Hello hackers!

I hope someone can help me with this since you know the internals of
FreeBSD much more than me. Hope it doesn't take much time.

The sort of problem I'm having is this: after installing a new Ultra
ATA card (it's based on Silicon Image 0680 chip by the way) although
the disks start to run at UATA6 (133) mode (as seen in dmesg output or
atacontrol), I see absolutely no
improvement compared to WDMA2 mode they used to run previously. I
still can get around 14Mb/s on dd transfers, but there has to be
more? My motherboard only supports WDMA2 mode and nothing more and
that's why I bought the card. Is there any trick I forgot to apply?
The drive is Maxtor 120Gb Diamond Plus 9.
Also, file transfers from mounted NTFS seem to be very very slow, much
slower than UFS transfers, what gives (when using mkisofs for example
for burning CDs)?

Hope someone can shed some light on this...