getfsent(3) and spaces in fstab

Tim Kientzle kientzle at acm.org
Wed Jul 30 16:31:45 PDT 2003

>>Do file system names and mount points with whitespaces violate the
>>specification of fstab? If so, the least thing I'd suggest is the document
>>this restriction.
>>
>>Or should one extend 'getfsent' such that is able to cope with those
>>whitespaces? I am not sure whether this would have any further
>>implications so I am asking here.

Formal standards tend to avoid "system administration"
issues such as this.  I doubt you would be violating any
published standard.

I say go for it.  If something else breaks because
of this change, let's fix that, too.  I like the fact
that FreeBSD works pretty well with other systems; lets
keep pushing that.

Tim Kientzle