getfsent(3) and spaces in fstab

Murray Taylor murraytaylor at bytecraftsystems.com
Wed Jul 30 16:20:56 PDT 2003

>From the man page

Each filesystem is described on a separate line; fields on each line are
     separated by tabs or spaces.

Clearly, having a space in a filesystem or mount point will violate
this constraint, by causing the trailing part to become the next
field.

Given that this is such a fundamental level in the scheme of things
may I suggest that the fstab and mount points maintain the no spaces
rule, and allow the higher filesystem (and particularly windoze noddies
using SAMBA file shares) to cope with the spaces in filenames stuff..

0.02c

mjt

Yes I have a large SAMBA system for the users and Yes a lot of their
directories and filenames are 'space laden' ....

On Wed, 2003-07-30 at 22:45, Simon Barner wrote:
> Hi -hackers,
>
> discussing some modifications for the sysutils/linneighborhood port,
> Heiner Eichmann and me came across the following problem:
>
> getfsent(3) will fail, if the name of the file system or the mount point
> contains whitespaces, be them escaped or not (file system names with
> spaces occur quite of with smbfs mounts).
>
> I searched the mail archives and the PR data base, but apart from this
> email here
>
> http://freebsd.rambler.ru/bsdmail/freebsd-questions_2003/msg05947.html
>
> this problem seems to be either unknown or rather well-known but
> accepted.
>
> I know there is workaround which is to create symbolic links for the
> paths that contain spaces, but to my mind this is not a real solution.
>
> Before taking any further action:
>
> Do file system names and mount points with whitespaces violate the
> specification of fstab? If so, the least thing I'd suggest is the document
> this restriction.
>
> Or should one extend 'getfsent' such that is able to cope with those
> whitespaces? I am not sure whether this would have any further
> implications so I am asking here.
>
> Cheers,
>  Simon

> This Email has been scanned for Viruses by MailMarshal.
Murray Taylor
Special Projects Engineer
Bytecraft Systems & Entertainment
P: +61 3 8710 2555