VM problem...

Pawel Jakub Dawidek nick at garage.freebsd.pl
Mon Jul 21 14:30:26 PDT 2003

On Mon, Jul 21, 2003 at 12:32:19PM -0700, Matthew Dillon wrote:
+>     Hmm.  Well, when a process forks the vm_map_entry's fork along with
+>     it.  The underlying VM objects remain shared but become copy-on-write.

Yes, but I mean while execve(), not fork().

Before execve() is called map got for example 65 pages in its vm map.
One of this page is marked as read-only.
After execve() process vm map got only 2 pages.
I susspect, that pages from before execve() are floating around.
And this read-only pages also and maybe it can be reused for stack?
If not, what happend with them?

Pawel Jakub Dawidek                       pawel at dawidek.net
UNIX Systems Programmer/Administrator     http://garage.freebsd.pl
Am I Evil? Yes, I Am!                     http://cerber.sourceforge.net