ASUS P4P800-VM + AD1980 (Was Re: VIA8235 + AD1980)

Rudolf Cejka cejkar at fit.vutbr.cz
Mon Aug 18 07:04:20 PDT 2003

Orion Hodson wrote (2003/08/17):
> There's a patch below that should help with this case - let
> me know how you go as I have no similar h/w.

Hello,
  my "another machine" is at home, so I will be sure about your patch
tomorrow and I will send you another mail, however it looks reasonably.
Maybe just for "defensive programming" wouldn't it be "safer" to switch
values instead of assignment? Maybe there are some boards, which can use
both outputs...

My home machine is 4.8-RELEASE and

pcm0: <Intel 82801BA (ICH2)> port 0xef00-0xef3f,0xe800-0xe8ff irq 9
  at device 31.5 on pci0
pcm0: <Analog Devices AD1885 ac97 codec>

and it seems that registers are again according to the specification,
AD1885 in this case:

ich_rdcd(0x00): 0x0410
ich_rdcd(0x04): 0x8000
ich_rdcd(0x28): 0x0001
ich_rdcd(0x38): 0x0000

Because of AD1885 use, there is no problem with source selection for
line out/hp out as in AD1980 case, because there is not any source switch
for AD1885 and both outputs are connected to the mixer output.
Hmm, documentation for AD1885 looks much better than for AD1980...

> The existing code does something already (ac97_fix_auxout in ac97.c),

Interesting, thanks ;o) and best regards.

--
Rudolf Cejka <cejkar at fit.vutbr.cz> http://www.fit.vutbr.cz/~cejkar
Brno University of Technology, Faculty of Information Technology