messing with CVS_LOCAL_BRANCH_NUM

Brian Reichert reichert at numachi.com
Sun Aug 3 00:23:43 PDT 2003

On Sat, Aug 02, 2003 at 03:22:06PM -0700, John Polstra wrote:
> In article <20030802193548.GH969 at numachi.com>,
> Brian Reichert  <reichert at numachi.com> wrote:
> > I'm exploring the 'local repository' tactics as described in:
> >
> >   <http://www.scriptkiddie.org/freebsd/setting_up_local_repo.html>
> >
> > which makes use of the CVS_LOCAL_BRANCH_NUM evironment variable.
> [...]
> > Any advice?
>
> Yes: look for a different approach, or at least backup your local
> repository frequently.  There are known bugs in CVSup which can cause
> it to throw away your local branch under certain circumstances.  I
> won't have time to fix those issues any time soon.  So my advice is,
> don't use the CVS_LOCAL_BRANCH_NUM feature.

Darn. :/

I had asked about this topic back in early March, search for message
ID <20030307215517.GD41124 at numachi.com>, if you care.  I wanted to
learn about maintaining a private repository, and the above URL was
the sole concrete pointer.

(Well, not true: someone else in that thread responded about a
makefile patch, but no one else had any good ideas.)

So, can the 'certain circumstances' be described, so that I might
avoid them?  Or is that just due to inherent wierdness in the whole
CVSup process?

Thanks for the feedback, in any case...

--
Brian 'you Bastard' Reichert		<reichert at numachi.com>
37 Crystal Ave. #303			Daytime number: (603) 434-6842