ports/139038: x11/gnome-applets: clock applet no longer shows weather information on FreeBSD 8.0

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Sun Sep 27 03:18:31 UTC 2009

> From: Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus at FreeBSD.org>
> Date: Sat, 26 Sep 2009 20:53:44 -0400
>
> On Sat, 2009-09-26 at 17:42 -0700, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> > > Date: Sat, 26 Sep 2009 14:12:00 GMT
> > > From: marcus at FreeBSD.org
> > >
> > > Synopsis: x11/gnome-applets: clock applet no longer shows weather information on FreeBSD 8.0
> > >
> > > State-Changed-From-To: open->closed
> > > State-Changed-By: marcus
> > > State-Changed-When: Sat Sep 26 14:10:26 UTC 2009
> > > State-Changed-Why:
> > > The problem has to do with the timezone file being used.  The timezone file
> > > in /etc/localtime is not what GNOME is expecting it to be.  Therefore, the
> > > clock applet doesn't think your home location is still home.  If you click
> > > the Set button next to the location in the clock applet, you should get
> > > your weather display back.
> > >
> > > http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=139038
> > >

> > Not sure what "Set" button you refer to. I see none in the "Locations"
> > tab. There is a "Time Settings", but it did nothing to press the "Set
> > System Time" in the time settings window.
>
> If you click on the clock applet, a pull-down appears showing the
> calendar and map.  Below the map are the configured locations.  Next to
> the home location is a house icon.  Next to all other locations where
> the house icon would be will appear a Set button when you put the mouse
> in that area.

I see it. I never change my location, so had not seen it, but I doubt it
would have helped, in any case.

The cause was r196683 which updated zic and changed the format of the
zonefiles. I missed the note in UPDATING that I need to run tzsetup to
install the new zonefile.

Thanks again!
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer