GDM 2.24.1 and XDMCP

Joe Marcus Clarke marcus at marcuscom.com
Tue Jan 20 09:31:28 PST 2009

On Tue, 2009-01-20 at 09:23 +0100, Uwe Laverenz wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 12:47:55PM -0500, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
>
> > > Another question: is it me or does GDM 2.24 still come without
> > > XDMCP-Chooser functionality?
> >
> > Yes, XDMCP functionality was removed from GDM 2.22 and higher.  Despite
> > that, the GNOME release team decided to ship it with GNOME 2.24.
>
> Joe, thank you for your answer and for all the work that you and the
> others have done for FreeBSD/Gnome. This was one of the reasons why
> you kept GDM 2.20 in the ports then?
>
> I must admit that I can't understand why they release 2.24 with a
> nearly useless version of GDM and broken/removed session support. :-(

This was discussed a lot of the GNOME development list.  I even posed it
to our test users.  A lot of Linux users complained, but non of the
FreeBSD users did.  I think some Linux distributions are shipping
gdm-2.20, but we never did any testing of 2.20 with 2.23/2.24.  If you
want to resurrect it, and test it out, we will consider re-adding the
port as gdm220.