firefox3 error, gconf related on none gnome system

Jan Henrik Sylvester me at janh.de
Tue Jul 1 23:51:58 UTC 2008

>>> Starting firefox3, I always get this annoying error:
>>>
>>> Failed to contact configuration server; some possible causes are that
>>> you need to enable TCP/IP networking for ORBit, or you have stale NFS
>>> locks due to a system crash. See http://www.gnome.org/projects/gconf/

Sorry for the fuss. I recompiled gconf2 and the error disappeared.

Previously, I had gconf2 installed as a package from
ftp/packages-7-stable, now I did compile the same version myself.

It might be the difference that the package has been build on pointyhat
or my system.

Otherwise, it proves that my attempt to rid my 7-RELEASE system from
7-STABLE packages that are incompatible failed:
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2008-June/177553.html
gconf does not use any FBSD symbols that are not FBSD_1.0, but still
seems to be incompatible.

Sorry again and thanks for you attempt to help!

Cheers,
Jan Henrik