firefox3 error, gconf related on none gnome system

Jan Henrik Sylvester me at janh.de
Tue Jul 1 17:50:08 UTC 2008

Jeremy Messenger wrote:
> On Tue, 01 Jul 2008 10:28:28 -0500, Jan Henrik Sylvester <me at janh.de>
> wrote:
>
>> Starting firefox3, I always get this annoying error:
>>
>> Failed to contact configuration server; some possible causes are that
>> you need to enable TCP/IP networking for ORBit, or you have stale NFS
>> locks due to a system crash. See http://www.gnome.org/projects/gconf/
>
> Did you read error message? Have you visit to this URL yet? There is
> FAQ/Troubleshooting in there related with this error.

Yes, I did. I did again and still cannot find a clue.

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I do not have NFS (neither client nor
server).

I do not have any ior files in /var/tmp/gconfd-jan/lock/ or ~/.gconfd/lock/.

gconfd is not running (ps -ax | grep gconf).

>> for information. (Details -  1: IOR file
>> '/var/tmp/gconfd-jan/lock/ior' not opened successfully, no gconfd
>> located: No such file or directory 2: IOR file
>> '/var/tmp/gconfd-jan/lock/ior' not opened successfully, no gconfd
>> located: No such file or directory)
>>
>> I do not run gnome, but have gconf2 installed as a dependency to many
>> application. /var/tmp/gconfd-jan/lock/ is an empty directory for me.
>>
>> How can I fix it? Do you need more details?
>
> http://www.mavetju.org/mail/view_thread.php?list=freebsd-gnome&id=1496892&thread=yes

Reading that whole thread, I guess I have a different problem without NFS.

In /var/log/messages, I see nothing but:

Jul  1 19:26:54 janh gconfd (jan-86634): Failed to get lock for daemon,
exiting: Failed to create or open '/var/tmp/gconfd-jan/lock/ior'

gconf-sanity-check-2 reports nothing new, either:

Please contact your system administrator to resolve the following problem:
Could not lock the file "/var/tmp/gconf-test-locking-file-8I5PDU"; this
indicates that there may be a problem with your operating system
configuration. If you have an NFS-mounted home directory, either the
client or the server may be set up incorrectly. See the rpc.statd and
rpc.lockd documentation. A common cause of this error is that the
"nfslock" service has been disabled.The error was "Invalid argument"
(errno = 22).

Cheers,
Jan Henrik