Newly installed gdeskcal not appearing anywhere in menus

Stacey Roberts stacey at vickiandstacey.com
Mon May 29 02:06:16 PDT 2006

Hello Dustin,
      Thanks for getting back to me.

On Mon, 29 May 2006, Dustin Coates wrote:

> Stacey Roberts wrote:
> >Hello,
> >
> Hi
> >On a freshly built FreeBSD-6.1Stable / Gnome-2.14_1 system, gdeskcal was
> >installed, but
> >whereas this would have resulted in gdeskcal appearing in the menu
> >(Applications >
> >Accessories) prior to Gnome2.14, there is now nothing for gdeskcal
> >anywhere in any of
> >the menu options.
> >
> >Is this expected behaviour?
> >How do I add gdeskcal to the Applications menu?
> >
> >I also only just noticed that there's no longer a "Run application" menu
> >item as well.
> >This used to provide the ability to simply enter the full filesystem path
> >to the desired
> >application, and then be able to lauch the application that way, or create
> >a launcher at
> >that point, too.
> >
> >Is it the case that this facility is now provided for somewhere else in
> >the menu layout?
> >
> >Regards,
> >
> >Stacey
> >
> For the "Run Application" Menu, you can right click the panel and goto
> "Add to Panel" then you can add the "Run Application" from thier, or you
> can Add the "Deskbar" which does the same thing and more, like searching
> from google, or other search engines.

Yes, you're referring the creating an application launcher, I take it? However, the
extension to this is the need to create one for each of the installed applications that
do not get added to the (already in place) existing menus. I guess I'm asking about
keeping the application launchers within the existing menu system.

> For the gDeskcal Issues I would have to install it to see if it acts the
> same, but you should be able to create a menu item for it, by right
> clicking the "Application" menu and then going to where you want it. I
> will try to install gDeskcal soon and see if it is a re-occuring issue.

I have seen this procedure mentioned in the FAQ
(http://www.freebsd.org/gnome/docs/faq2.html#q12), however, "Right-clicking"
Applications brings up: Help; Edit Menus; Remove from Panel and Lock to Panel.

Clicking on Edit Menus brings up a dialogue box that displays the current list of
available applications, but no facility to *Add* a new menu item, from what I'm seeing.
Again, is this expected, or is there some bits missing from my Gnome-2.14
installation(s) (just checked on three other machines, with the same results) here?

Thanks again.

Regards,

Stacey