Gnome, Xemacs, and BadWindow's.

George Hartzell hartzell at kestrel.alerce.com
Wed Nov 30 01:14:38 GMT 2005

I'm moving my IBM T42p from 5.3BETA4 to 6.0 STABLE

I've built all the xorg, gnome2, and xemacs stuff from ports
portsnap'ed a couple of days ago w/ BATCH=1.

I'm running a GENERIC kernel that was build from today's STABLE
sources.

I've created a new user w/ the default .files, using tcsh, and no
emacs/xemacs configuration files, so it's unlikely to be anything in
my personal configuration (?).

The X server is running w/out any configuration file.

Whenever I type a bit of text into xemacs and "kill" it (e.g. move to
the beginning of the line hit control-k), I get a pair of messages in
the xterm window from which I started xemacs:

  X Error of failed request:  BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)
    Major opcode of failed request:  18 (X_ChangeProperty)
    Resource id in failed request:  0xe006b8
    Serial number of failed request:  20223
  X Error of failed request:  BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)
    Major opcode of failed request:  25 (X_SendEvent)
    Resource id in failed request:  0xe006b8
    Serial number of failed request:  20224

It only happens when nautilus is running.

xlsclient -la tells me that nautilus has a window who's id is close
to the resource id of the failed requests, but I don't know how those
id's are generated:

  Window 0xe00001:
    Machine:  satchel.alerce.com
    Name:  File Manager
    Icon Name:  File Manager
    Command:  nautilus
    Instance/Class:  nautilus/Nautilus

'Sometimes' (I can't consistently repeat it), stopping nautilus,
cutting something in xemacs, then starting nautilus will generate the
pair of messages.

I tried to get some feedback a while back about a similar problem that
also involved ssh, here's a pointer to the start of that thread:

  http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-gnome/2005-June/011636.html

I never really resolved it then, just stopped running nautilus (sadly
it seems to be responsible for setting the background...).

I get occasional mail from folks who see my earlier post, so I don't
think I'm the only person seeing this.

Anyone have any thoughts?

I'd appreciate any leads, hints, pointers, me-too's, works-for-me's,
etc....

g.