Nautilus, xemacs, ssh -Y, and BadWindow messages.

George Hartzell hartzell at kestrel.alerce.com
Tue Jun 28 16:46:44 GMT 2005

Hi all,

I'm trying to pin down a problem that I'm having on a -STABLE system,
running gnome and xemacs build from ports a week+ or so ago.  I see
the same behaviour on a -CURRENT system, but not on a 5.3BETA4 system.

I've filed a bug, but in brief I get a pair of BadWindow messages (an
X_ChangeProperty and an X_SendEvent) in the xterm from which I start
xemacs whenever I cut something that it's storing to the clipboard.
There are more details in the bug.

	ports/82498

I filed it originally against xemacs, but apparently there's not
maintainer.  I've been digging a bit, and noticed that it only happens
when I have nautilus running.  If I pull nautilus from my session
(using Preferences->Session) I don't see the BadWindow messages.  When
I restart nautilus, the behaviour reappears.

I'm still thinking about where to start digging next.

I'd appreciate any feedback about what might be going on.  It seems to
be unique to ssh -Y and nautilus, so they're kind of my next
targets....

Thanks,

g.