Nautilus, xemacs, ssh -Y, and BadWindow messages.

Joe Marcus Clarke marcus at marcuscom.com
Wed Jun 29 07:59:12 GMT 2005

On Tue, 2005-06-28 at 09:46 -0700, George Hartzell wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to pin down a problem that I'm having on a -STABLE system,
> running gnome and xemacs build from ports a week+ or so ago.  I see
> the same behaviour on a -CURRENT system, but not on a 5.3BETA4 system.
>
> I've filed a bug, but in brief I get a pair of BadWindow messages (an
> X_ChangeProperty and an X_SendEvent) in the xterm from which I start
> xemacs whenever I cut something that it's storing to the clipboard.
> There are more details in the bug.
>
> 	ports/82498
>
> I filed it originally against xemacs, but apparently there's not
> maintainer.  I've been digging a bit, and noticed that it only happens
> when I have nautilus running.  If I pull nautilus from my session
> (using Preferences->Session) I don't see the BadWindow messages.  When
> I restart nautilus, the behaviour reappears.
>
> I'm still thinking about where to start digging next.
>
> I'd appreciate any feedback about what might be going on.  It seems to
> be unique to ssh -Y and nautilus, so they're kind of my next
> targets....

I think Nautilus is a red herring.  The real problem is most likely
gnome-settings-daemon and its tendency to merge xrdb data into your
current environment.  You could hack the xrdb support out of g-s-d, or
simply override the default Emacs resource settings with your own
~/.gnome2/xrdb/Emacs.ad file.

Joe