new freebsd gnome user needs upgrade help

Jason Trickett jstrickett at cogeco.ca
Fri Nov 25 00:40:38 GMT 2005

I installed FreeBSD 6 with the GNOME 2.10 desktop from the iso's. I also
installed the ports system but have not used it yet. I wish to upgrade
my GNOME desktop to 2.12 using packages. Is the Tinderbox way the only
option I have using packages? And if the only way to upgrade to 2.12 is
to use the ports system does that mean I need to remove my 2.10 gnome
packages first? I've looked at the docs but I'm getting confused. Can
someone help me out, maybe with some basic instructions on how to
accomplish this?

Thanks. And sorry for the newbie question.

-- Jason