X.org fails after 2.12. upgrade

Joe Marcus Clarke marcus at marcuscom.com
Fri Nov 18 16:43:31 PST 2005

On Fri, 2005-11-18 at 08:16 -0700, Wilde, Donald wrote:
> I did another cvsup last night (11/17, ports only) and followed that
> with portupgrade --all and sh gnome_upgrade.sh. All scripts finished
> with zero errors, but the same messages still appear.
>
> To recap my current state:
>
> RELENG_5 on i386, aka 5.4-STABLE as of 11/15
>
> However, although X.org starts now, Gnome does not. The first time, the
> splash screen loads on a gray background, and then an error box shows up
> in the upper left corner.
>
> The error message is:
>
> The Settings Daemon restarted too many times.
> Failed to activate 'OAFID: GNOME_SettingsDaemon'
>
> After CTRL-ALT-BKSP, I see, 5 times repeated,
> Gnome_message: gnome_execute_async_with_env_fds: returning -1
>
> and then I see "The application 'gnome-session' lost its connection..."
>
> I have not heard back from anyone as to the solution to this problem, so
> I've subscribed. I'll see list-posted responses now.

You haven't heard anything back because this is most likely a problem
specific to your server.  There are a few FAQ questions that touch on
common problems starting GNOME at
http://www.freebsd.org/gnome/docs/faq2.html.  Have you gone through all
of those steps to try and figure out what is happening?