X.org fails after 2.12. upgrade

Wilde, Donald dwilde at sandia.gov
Fri Nov 18 07:16:31 PST 2005

I did another cvsup last night (11/17, ports only) and followed that
with portupgrade --all and sh gnome_upgrade.sh. All scripts finished
with zero errors, but the same messages still appear.

To recap my current state:

RELENG_5 on i386, aka 5.4-STABLE as of 11/15

However, although X.org starts now, Gnome does not. The first time, the
splash screen loads on a gray background, and then an error box shows up
in the upper left corner.

The error message is:

The Settings Daemon restarted too many times.
Failed to activate 'OAFID: GNOME_SettingsDaemon'

After CTRL-ALT-BKSP, I see, 5 times repeated,
Gnome_message: gnome_execute_async_with_env_fds: returning -1

and then I see "The application 'gnome-session' lost its connection..."

I have not heard back from anyone as to the solution to this problem, so
I've subscribed. I'll see list-posted responses now.

--
Don Wilde    Org 01737    505-844-1126
Someday we'll look back on this moment and plow into a parked car. -