X.org fails after 2.12. upgrade

Wilde, Donald dwilde at sandia.gov
Thu Nov 17 10:08:58 PST 2005

Gentlemen: I have a 5.4-STABLE setup which I just (11/15) cvsup'd to
RELENG_5 and performed portupgrade --all upon, as well as
gnome_upgrade.sh from the console. I had just done the same sequence a
few days ago, and did not have this startup problem.

startx complains that 'gnome-session: not found'.

The only build failures in the portupgrade, as I remember, were that i
<<xorg-gnome-session-nf.tgz>> nkscape is looking for a different
boehm-gc variant and that xterm-2.05 is no longer available. The
attached tarball includes uname, du -a of my .gconf, .gnome, and .gnome2
trees, /var/log/Xorg.0.log, pkg_info, and a dump of the one file that I
found that looked like a session file. I also tried symlinking that file
to gnome-session in various places in those .g* trees.

I suspect it is a matter of finding the right place to symlink
something, since that session file does look like it contains the right
sorts of things, but I couldn't find anything in the ml archive or on
the gnome.org site. Of course, I'm not the world's best searcher, so if
you can gently tell me WHERE to RTFMA I will be glad to do so.

Thanks in advance! :D

--
Don Wilde    Org 01737    505-844-1126
Someday we'll look back on this moment and plow into a parked car. -