Integrated DEBUG related macros to WITH_DEBUG/WITHOUT_DEBUG

Palle Girgensohn girgen at FreeBSD.org
Sun Nov 13 06:16:34 PST 2005

--On söndag, november 13, 2005 15.01.58 +0300 Andrey Chernov
<ache at FreeBSD.ORG> wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 13, 2005 at 09:38:42AM +0900, Norikatsu Shigemura wrote:
>> Hi ports maintainers!
>>
>> 	I consider that DEBUG related knob should be integrated
>> 	to WITH_DEBUG/WITHOUT_DEBUG.  So I want to add DEBUG to
>> 	/usr/ports/KNOBS.  But following ports should be modified.
>> 	How about do you think?
>>
>> 	ok: using WITH_DEBUG/WITHOUT_DEBUG
>> 	ok? using *_DEBUG_* knobs.  But I think that these should not
>> 	    be replaced to WITH_DEBUG.  Semantics different.
>> 	ng: using *DEBUG* knobs.  I think that these should be replaced
>> 	    to WITH_DEBUG/WITHOUT_DEBUG.
>
> *DEBUG knob has different meaning from port to port and often not just -g
> adding, but turns on internal port debugging output/checks.

-g should really be honored through CFLAGS? I don't think that adding -g
alone alone calls for the need for a DEBUG knob, it must be the internal
port debugging checks we want by using the knob, right?