samba shared in nautilus not stable

Sean McNeil sean at mcneil.com
Thu Nov 10 16:16:13 PST 2005

On Thu, 2005-11-10 at 18:41 -0500, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-11-10 at 15:36 -0800, Sean McNeil wrote:

> > > |>|
> > > |>|
> > > |>|

> > > That doesn't make sense since that code doesn't have anything to do with
> > > MIME or gnome-vfs.  However, there have been magic issues in the past
> > > with 64-bit platforms and MIME.  I don't think that's the case here, but
> > > you might try surfing the mime-info module at http://cvs.freedesktop.org
> > > to see if there are any relevant fixes.
> > >
> > > Of course, GNOME 2.12 will be coming into the tree soon.  You might want
> > > to see if that helps.
> >
> > Performed a complete upgrade to 2.12 and fixed a few problems with my
> > system, but now I'm back to this one.
> >
> > Removed kde completely just in case it was interfering in some way.  No
> > Joy.
> >
> > Now, I see nothing in the network:/// except "Windows Network" no matter
> > how many shares are out there.  smbtree looks good, however, no matter
> > what I use for a password.
> >
> > This doesn't look like a FreeBSD problem, by the way.  I see the same
> > behavior on a SuSE 10 installation.  I have a share running on that
> > machine too and both the FreeBSD 6-STABLE and the SuSE 10 box show up on
> > a Windows box in the browser.
> >
> > SSH shares work great, though.  When my Mac is up I see it show in
> > Network:/// and can browse it no problem.
>
> I see my MDNS advertised shares under network:/// as well as Windows
> Network.  This is what I expect.  When I double-click on Windows
> Network, I see my MARCUSCOM domain.  Under there, I see all three Samba
> servers.

Got it figured out.  This is a problem that has been happening on and
off.  Sometimes it works, other times (like now) it fails.

First,  it appears that if the domain master is the same machine it
appears a little different.  At one time I had my workgroup set in
gconf/system/smb, but no longer.  Regardless, all my smb shares are down
in network:/// and nothing is in smb:///.

I tend to try and keep my samba server only serving the internal
network.  I had is setup for interfaces only and just the lo + internal
nic.  With NAT and everything else going on this box, it turns out that
I cannot see my own domain master.  If I use the defaults, it all works
just fine.  But now I have a bunch of kids trying to connect up to my
shares.

Sigh,
Sean