samba shared in nautilus not stable

Sean McNeil sean at mcneil.com
Thu Nov 10 15:36:18 PST 2005

On Tue, 2005-11-01 at 15:23 -0500, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:

> Sean McNeil wrote:

> |>|
> |>|
> |>|

> |>I have a number of Samba share icons on my desktop, and I have never had
> |>a problem.  This error makes me think there is some MIME or gnome-vfs
> |>corruption at work, but I couldn't tell you what's causing it.
> |

> | I'll try reinstalling those packages.  I have this feeling this might be
> | related back to the cmsghdr fiasco with amd64 as it has caused issues in
> | the past like this.  I have nothing but a feeling to go by here, though.
>
> That doesn't make sense since that code doesn't have anything to do with
> MIME or gnome-vfs.  However, there have been magic issues in the past
> with 64-bit platforms and MIME.  I don't think that's the case here, but
> you might try surfing the mime-info module at http://cvs.freedesktop.org
> to see if there are any relevant fixes.
>
> Of course, GNOME 2.12 will be coming into the tree soon.  You might want
> to see if that helps.

Performed a complete upgrade to 2.12 and fixed a few problems with my
system, but now I'm back to this one.

Removed kde completely just in case it was interfering in some way.  No
Joy.

Now, I see nothing in the network:/// except "Windows Network" no matter
how many shares are out there.  smbtree looks good, however, no matter
what I use for a password.

This doesn't look like a FreeBSD problem, by the way.  I see the same
behavior on a SuSE 10 installation.  I have a share running on that
machine too and both the FreeBSD 6-STABLE and the SuSE 10 box show up on
a Windows box in the browser.

SSH shares work great, though.  When my Mac is up I see it show in
Network:/// and can browse it no problem.

Cheers,
Sean