gnome-terminal and locale support

Alexander Nedotsukov bland at FreeBSD.org
Tue Nov 1 20:44:03 PST 2005

Nicholas Wieland wrote:
>  - Alexander Nedotsukov :
>
>> Nicholas,
>>
>> Show output of your "locale" and "name -a", please. Also tell us GNOME
>> version you running.
>> Can you input those characters in xterm?
>>

> ngw at pixie ~> locale
> LANG=it_IT.ISO8859-15
> LC_CTYPE="it_IT.ISO8859-15"
> LC_COLLATE="it_IT.ISO8859-15"
> LC_TIME="it_IT.ISO8859-15"
> LC_NUMERIC="it_IT.ISO8859-15"
> LC_MONETARY="it_IT.ISO8859-15"
> LC_MESSAGES="it_IT.ISO8859-15"
> LC_ALL=

This is correct.
> ngw at pixie ~> uname -a
> FreeBSD pixie.subbacultcha.home 6.0-RC1 FreeBSD 6.0-RC1 #7: Sat Oct 29
> 11:52:21 CEST 2005
> root at pixie.subbacultcha.home:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/SUBBACULTCHA  i386
>
> When I run xterm I get a:
>  Warning: locale not supported by C library, locale unchanged

And this is strange. I do not think your problem is GNOME related. Which
X11 port do you use (XFree86 or Xorg)? Are they up to date? What will
happen if you replace it_IT.ISO8859-15 with it_IT.ISO-8859-15?

Alexander.