Gnome starting problem

Stephen Liu satimis at yahoo.com
Mon May 3 04:05:37 PDT 2004

Hi Mezz,

Tks for your advice.

> >> http://www.freebsd.org/gnome/docs/faq26.html
> >>
> >> Follow every step to the letter.
> >
> > I was running Gnome 2.4 which was working normally
> > before. I mis-applied "make deinstall' to remove
> > 'automake-1.5,1'. After starting I saw it started
> > remove files which were needed I closed the
> Konsole
> > Window. Since then I have not run Gnome and don't
> know
> > wheher it is still working.
> >
> > About yesterday I ran
> > # pkg_delete -r automake-1.5,1
> >
> > then
> > # cd /usr/ports/devel/automake17
> > # make install clean
> > to install automake-1.7.5_1
> >
> > Then I started Gnome and found it could not work.
> >
> > I hesitate to run portsupgrade to upgrade Gnome to
> 2.6
> > because I am running a slow PC. Any other
> solution.
>
> Install automake-1.5,1 back in. You can use packages
> instead if your PC is
> too slow.

# pkg_delete -r automake-1.7.5_1
# cd /usr/ports/devel/automake
# make install clean
# pkg_info | grep automake
automake-1.5,1      GNU Standards-compliant Makefile
generator

Rebooted PC to multi-user mode and login as user

$ startx
Warning: could not change ownership of tty -- pty is
insecure

$ gnome-session
/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libesd.so.2 not
found

Problem still remained

$ startkde
startkde: Starting up:
QPixmap: Cannot created a QPixmap when no GUI is being
used
kbuildsycoca running...
kdecore (KLibLoader): WARNIMG: library=kcm_kmix:
file=/usr/local/libkde3/kcm_kmix.la:
Shared object "libesd.so.2" not found
Could not dlopen library knotify.la: Shared object
"libsoundser_idl.so.1 "not
found
/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Share object
"liboundserver_idl.so.1" not found
/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object
"libsoundserver_idl.so.1" not found
kwin: it looks like there's already a window manager
running.  kwin not started
konsole: cannot chown /dev/ttyp0
Reason: Operation not permitted

KDE started