Time to put ${PTHREAD_LIBS} in the x11/xscreensaver-gnome?

Joe Marcus Clarke marcus at marcuscom.com
Thu Mar 25 10:04:48 PST 2004

On Thu, 2004-03-25 at 12:52, Jeremy Messenger wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Mar 2004 23:46:28 +0900, Alexander Nedotsukov
> <bland at FreeBSD.org> wrote:
>
> > Jeremy Messenger wrote:
> >
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> I do think that GNOME team should add the ${PTHREAD_LIBS} in the
> >> x11/xscreensaver-gnome at LDFLAGS line. There are few people have the
> >> same problem, so it's not just a Nvidia driver issue. Updated to 4.15
> >> must have changed something, because the older version doesn't
> >> required the ${PTHREAD_LIBS}.
> >
> > Guys,
> >
> > I don't think it's good idea because of two reasons:
> > 1. I have xscreensaver-demo properly linked and running just fine here.
> > Plus since I have nvidia GL library installed when all GL hacks and
> > gl-helper mapped through libmap to use libc_r  they also runs fine.
> > 2. xscreensaver do not make any use of threading at all.
> > Even the way you proposing may fix situation on your side this is not
> > the right thing. I fact for nvidia users it will be better not to link
> > against any threading library at all. This is the way things also works
> > fine on my side.
>
> If I downgrade to 4.14 or below, then compile it without the
> ${PTHREAD_LIBS} and the xscreensaver-gnome works fine.
>
> > Speaking about incorrect linking. To proove this is the case it's
> > necessary to found at least one object wich make use of pthreads API but
> > do not linked against it or two objects linked against different
> > threading libraries. As I said I don't see any.
> > Well to be constructive can people (not only once who currently
> > expirince a problem with xscreensaver) try the patch attached and report
>
> See the 'xscreensaver-gnome & threads' thread. We have three people that
> who aren't using Nvidia driver.
>
> We have the same issue, but different video card:
>
> 	-Nvidia driver
> 	-ATI radeon 7000 w/ DRI enable
> 	-Radeon 9000 in dual head without DRI
> 	-Unknown, but he doesn't has any Nvidia driver
>
> > two things is: it works and what is your GL library Nvidia/Mesa?
>
> Ok, I will test your patch this afternoon.
>
> > Thanks,
> > Alexander.
> > ps. Btw, others better follow my advise to figure out what is wrong with
> > your installation.
>
> I doubt there's something wrong with my installtion. Around two to three
> weeks ago, I formatted my HD and did the clean installtion of 5.2-CURRENT,
> then went right straight to update ports tree and grab MarcusCOM CVS for
> GNOME 2.5.x. After that, all I did was add debug in the /etc/make.conf and
> do the 'make install' then install Nvidia driver and the
> xscreensaver-gnome doesn't even work by default installtion.
>
> All above made me believe that there is a new bug in the
> xscreensaver-gnome 4.15.

The commonality is all affected users are using libc_r on -CURRENT
instead of libpthread.  There was a change in xscreensaver 4.15 so that
libpthread is linked in if found and you're using MesaGL.  The problem
is, only the GL modules are linked with libpthread.so.  This is fine if
you're talking about libpthread.so.  However, if you're talking about
libc_r, then the main binary also has to be linked to libc_r, or you get
the DTP.  That said, modifying configure to link ${PTHREAD_LIBS} into
all xscreensaver executables should fix this.

Joe