Time to put ${PTHREAD_LIBS} in the x11/xscreensaver-gnome?

Jeremy Messenger mezz7 at cox.net
Thu Mar 25 09:52:07 PST 2004

On Thu, 25 Mar 2004 23:46:28 +0900, Alexander Nedotsukov
<bland at FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> Jeremy Messenger wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I do think that GNOME team should add the ${PTHREAD_LIBS} in the
>> x11/xscreensaver-gnome at LDFLAGS line. There are few people have the
>> same problem, so it's not just a Nvidia driver issue. Updated to 4.15
>> must have changed something, because the older version doesn't
>> required the ${PTHREAD_LIBS}.
>
> Guys,
>
> I don't think it's good idea because of two reasons:
> 1. I have xscreensaver-demo properly linked and running just fine here.
> Plus since I have nvidia GL library installed when all GL hacks and
> gl-helper mapped through libmap to use libc_r  they also runs fine.
> 2. xscreensaver do not make any use of threading at all.
> Even the way you proposing may fix situation on your side this is not
> the right thing. I fact for nvidia users it will be better not to link
> against any threading library at all. This is the way things also works
> fine on my side.

If I downgrade to 4.14 or below, then compile it without the
${PTHREAD_LIBS} and the xscreensaver-gnome works fine.

> Speaking about incorrect linking. To proove this is the case it's
> necessary to found at least one object wich make use of pthreads API but
> do not linked against it or two objects linked against different
> threading libraries. As I said I don't see any.
> Well to be constructive can people (not only once who currently
> expirince a problem with xscreensaver) try the patch attached and report

See the 'xscreensaver-gnome & threads' thread. We have three people that
who aren't using Nvidia driver.

We have the same issue, but different video card:

	-Nvidia driver
	-ATI radeon 7000 w/ DRI enable
	-Radeon 9000 in dual head without DRI
	-Unknown, but he doesn't has any Nvidia driver

> two things is: it works and what is your GL library Nvidia/Mesa?

Ok, I will test your patch this afternoon.

> Thanks,
> Alexander.
> ps. Btw, others better follow my advise to figure out what is wrong with
> your installation.

I doubt there's something wrong with my installtion. Around two to three
weeks ago, I formatted my HD and did the clean installtion of 5.2-CURRENT,
then went right straight to update ports tree and grab MarcusCOM CVS for
GNOME 2.5.x. After that, all I did was add debug in the /etc/make.conf and
do the 'make install' then install Nvidia driver and the
xscreensaver-gnome doesn't even work by default installtion.

All above made me believe that there is a new bug in the
xscreensaver-gnome 4.15.

--
bsdforums.org 's moderator, mezz.